St Michael Catholic Church
Snohomish Washington
Saint Michael's circa 1889 Saint Michael's circa 1920 The Church interior until 1989

History of Our Parish
Our Spiritual Leaders

1852 - Fr. Chirouse

1852 - Fr. Mansueto

1853 - Fr. Louis Custer

1886 - Fr. Michael McCauley

1890 - Fr. F.X. Guay

1894 - Fr. Peter Van Holenbeke

1900 - Fr. John Edwin O'Brien

1902 - Fr. A.J.Bourke 1906 

1902 - Fr. T.F.Van de Walle

1948 - Fr. Garrett Galvin

1962 - Fr. Anthony Throckmortin

1966 - Fr. Patrick O'Neill

1972 - Fr. John Peters

1975 - Fr. Michael O'Brien

1979 - Fr. Dennis Champagne

1999 - Fr. Richard Ward 

 2003 - Fr. Jay DeFolco

        2012 – Fr Milhton Scarpetta

The first celebration of the mass on a regular basis in what is now the Snohomish County area is believed to have been held by Father Chrouse, who came from the Yakima Valley to Tulalip in 1857, two years before Snohomish was incorporated as a city. He built a church at Tulalip Bay and also a school for the tribe's children.

In 1883 Father Louis Custer came to Snohomish from Seattle as a missionary and began a movement to build a church on some property that had been donated to the Catholic's in the area b E.C. Furgeson, the man who is credited for founding the city of Snohomish. Although Fr. Custer was unable to achieve the goal immediately, he continued to celebrate mass in homes until the Alhambra Theater became available for services.

In 1886 Father Michael McCauley came to Snohomish as the area's first resident pastor. With his own money, Fr. McCauley began the process of constructing a church in Snohomish. The original building was 55 feet long, 28 feet wide, and had a steeple 80 feet high. The building and accompanying rectory were built for about $1600. The Catholic Church joined two other churches in the city: a Methodist Church and a Presbyterian church.

The church was originally dedicated as "Our Lady of Mount Carmel" but was later changed for unknown reasons to "Saint Michael's"

In 1920, the church was renovated and remained much the same until 1986, when the current building was constructed. 
The interior of the church stayed much the same until 1986